Lunch should never be overlooked. It should be quick and easy to make, but should look like some love went into making it because that makes it more enjoyable. And lunch should always be enjoyed.
This salad could be my lunch every day. It comes from The Pleasures of Cooking for One by Judith Jones.
What you need:
- Fennel, about 1/3 medium bulb or 1/2 small one
- 1/2 tart apple
- about 6 walnuts (I used red ones because I like the way they look)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (Note: I use white balsamic)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or more to taste
Remove the course outside rib of the fennel bulb, and trim off the stalk, saving the leaves. Trim the root end so the bulb stands firmly, and with a sharp knife cut very thin slices. If you have a mandolin, by all means use it. Core the apple, and cut it into thin slices, leaving the peel on. Mix together the dressing ingredients, taste, and adjust as you see fit. Pour the dressing over the fennel and apple slices with the walnuts, broken in half, and some of the fennel leaves chopped, and toss everything together. Pile onto a salad plate, and top with a few more fennel leaves.